Thursday, March 03, 2022

Ainda a poesia de Elizabeth Alexander

 


Ars Poetica #100: I Believe

Elizabeth Alexander

Poetry, I tell my students,

is idiosyncratic. Poetry

 

is where we are ourselves

(though Sterling Brown said

 

“Every ‘I’ is a dramatic ‘I’”),

digging in the clam flats

 

for the shell that snaps,

emptying the proverbial pocketbook.

 

Poetry is what you find

in the dirt in the corner,

 

overhear on the bus, God

in the details, the only way

 

to get from here to there.

Poetry (and now my voice is rising)

 

is not all love, love, love,

and I’m sorry the dog died.

 

Poetry (here I hear myself loudest)

is the human voice,

 

and are we not of interest to each other?

 

 

Ars Poetica #100: Eu Acredito

 

A Poesia, digo aos meus alunos,

é idiossincrática. A Poesia

 

é onde estamos nós mesmos

(embora Sterling Brown tenha dito

 

“Todo ‘eu’ é um ‘eu’ dramático”),

cavando nas baixadas de moluscos

 

atrás da concha que estala,

esvaziando a proverbial carteira.

 

A Poesia é o que você encontra

na sujeira do canto,

 

ouvir no ônibus, Deus

nos detalhes, a única maneira

 

para ir daqui para lá.

A Poesia (e agora minha voz vai subindo)

 

não é tudo amor, amor, amor,

e lamento o cachorro morto.

 

A Poesia (aqui me ouço mais alto)

é a voz humana,

 

e não somos cada um de interesse do outro?

Ilustração: Pensar Contemporâneo.

No comments: