Thursday, February 29, 2024

Outra poesia de Joseph Seamon Cotter Jr

 

The Deserter

Joseph Seamon Cotter Jr

I know not why or whence he came

      Or how he chanced to go;

I only know he brought me love

      And going, left me woe.

 

I do not ask that he turn back,

      Nor seek where he may rove;

For where woe rules can never be

      The dwelling place of love.

 

For love went out the door of hope,

      And on and on has fled;

Caring no more to dwell within

      The house where faith is dead.

O DESERTOR

Eu não sei por que ou de onde ele veio

       Ou como aconteceu dele ir;

Eu só sei que ele me trouxe amor

       E indo, me deixou aqui.

 

Eu não peço que ele volte,

       Nem procure onde ele possa vagar;

Por onde, aí, as regras nunca poderão ser

       da morada do amor.

 

Por onde o amor deixou a porta da esperança,

       E assim para diante fugiu;

Cuidadoso de não mais morar dentro

       Da casa onde a fé está morta.

Ilustração: JBox.


No comments: