Sunday, October 31, 2021

Uma poesia de George Santayana

 


SONNET V

George Santayana

Dreamt I today the dream of yesternight,

Sleep ever feigning one evolving theme -

Of my two lives which should I call the dream?

Which action vanity? Which vision sight?

Some greater waking must pronounce aright,

If aught abides still of the things that seem,

And with both currents swell the flooded stream

Into an ocean infinite of light.

 

Even such a dream I dream, and know full well

My waking passes like a midnight spell,

But know not if my dreaming could break through

Into the deeps of heaven and of hell.

I know but this of all I would I knew:

Truth is a dream, unless my dream is true.

SONETO V

Hoje eu sonhei o sonho de ontem,

Dormi sempre fingindo ser uma evolução do tema -

Das minhas duas vidas, qual devo chamar de sonho?

Qual ação vaidade? Qual olhar visão?

Algum despertar maior deve ser pronunciado corretamente,

Se alguma coisa permanece das coisas que parecem,

E em ambas as correntes, o fluxo inundado

Dentro de um oceano infinito de luz.

 

Até tal sonho que eu sonho, e sei muito bem

Meu despertar passa como um feitiço da meia-noite,

Mas não sei se meu sonho poderia irromper

Dentro das profundezas do céu e do inferno.

Eu sei, mas de tudo o que eu gostaria de saber:

A verdade é um sonho, exceto se meu sonho for verdade.

Ilustração: Mascha Tace / Shutterstock.com.

No comments: