Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Uma poesia de Leila Chatti

 


I WENT OUT TO HEAR

Leila Chatti

The sound of quiet. The sky

indigo, steeping

deeper from the top, like tea.

In the absence

of anything else, my own

breathing became obscene.

I heard the beating

of bats’ wings before

the air troubled above

my head, turned to look

and saw them gone.

On the surface of the black

lake, a swan and the moon

stayed perfectly

still. I knew this was

a perfect moment.

Which would only hurt me

to remember and never

live again. My God. How lucky to have lived

a life I would die for.

EU SAI PARA OUVIR

O som do silêncio. O céu

índigo, esfacelamento

mais profundo em cima, como o chá.

Na ausência de

de qualquer outra coisa, minha própria

respiração torna-se obscena.

Eu ouvi a batida

das asas de morcego antes

o ar perturbado acima

da minha cabeça, virou-se para olhar

e os vi partirem.

Na superfície do lago

negro, um cisne e a lua

permaneceram perfeitamente

ainda. Eu sabia que era

um momento perfeito.

O que só me feriria

lembrar e nunca

viver de novo. Meu Deus. Como tenho sorte de ter vivido

uma vida pela qual eu morreria.

Ilustração: Science CUE.

No comments: