Sunday, June 04, 2023

Uma poesia de Franny Choi

 


TIME-SENSITIVE

Franny Choi

 

“When did the ‘present’ begin?”  Lauren Berlant

When the tyrant’s voice comes on the car radio, I close my eyes in an effort to slow the rate at which hopelessness enters me. With this act, I hurl myself faster toward extinction.

Every morning, I stretch, put food in my throat, and fail to forgive myself. 

At night, I sit down to watch last year’s extinctions paint the wall, while next time’s fire buffers in a perpetual next time.

Somewhere between these, I occupy the present tense, with all the confidence of a settler.

Sometime before was when the things we survived happened. What am I surviving today: the war or its unending ending?

I remember none of it and so live without language for its opposite. 

The country (was/is) divided, the US military (occupied/has occupied) the country, I (return/am returning) there. 

What is the opposite of the present tense? 

(I’m speaking, I say, until it’s no longer true.)

I love next time. I love it with all the declarative confidence of a child who’s never fished the softened bodies of her parents from a river as soldiers chew cud.

History hangs inside me, like a dependent clause.

History ends when its mirrors rush from the future like brake lights, polishing me into language.

After the catastrophe. By polishing me; through buffering grammar. In red memories dotting the highway smudged out by a storm. By the tyrant, unevenly distributed. With current.

The screech of tires is just the sound of my past catching up with yours.

SENSÍVEL AO TEMPO

“Quando começou o ‘presente’?” Lauren Berlant

Quando a voz do tirano toca no rádio do carro, eu fecho os olhos em um esforço para diminuir a velocidade com que a desesperança entra em mim. Com este ato, me lanço mais rápido em direção à extinção.

Todas as manhãs, eu me estico, coloco comida na garganta e não consigo me perdoar.

À noite, sento-me para observar as extinções do ano passado pintarem a parede, enquanto o fogo da próxima vez se amortece perpétuo próximo tempo.

Em algum lugar entre estes, eu ocupo o tempo presente, com toda a confiança de um colono.

Algum tempo antes foi quando as coisas a que sobrevivemos aconteceram. A que estou sobrevivendo hoje: à guerra ou ao seu final sem fim?

Eu não me lembro nada disto e assim vivo sem linguagem para o seu oposto.

O país (estava/está) dividido, os militares dos EUA (ocuparam/ocuparam) o país, eu (volto/estou voltando) lá.

Qual é o oposto do tempo presente?

(Estou falando, eu digo, até que não seja mais verdade.)

Eu amo o próxima tempo. Eu amo isto com toda a confiança declarada de uma criança que nunca pescou os corpos amolecidos de seus pais em um rio enquanto soldados ruminavam.

A história paira dentro de mim, como uma cláusula dependente.

A história termina quando seus espelhos correm do futuro como luzes de freio, polindo-me na linguagem.

Depois da catástrofe. Polindo-me; através da gramática carregada. Em memórias vermelhas pontilhando a estrada borrada por uma tempestade. Pelo tirano, distribuído de forma desigual. Com corrente.

O guincho dos pneus é apenas o som do meu passado alcançando o seu.

Ilustração: Viva Bem Uol.


No comments: