Wednesday, August 25, 2021

De volta Edna St. Vincent Millay

 


WHAT LIPS MY LIPS HAVE KISSED, AND WHERE, AND WHY

Edna St. Vincent Millay

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,

I have forgotten, and what arms have lain

Under my head till morning; but the rain

Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh

Upon the glass and listen for reply,

And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain

For unremembered lads that not again

Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.

 

Thus in the winter stands the lonely tree,

Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,

Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:

I cannot say what loves have come and gone,

I only know that summer sang in me

A little while, that in me sings no more.

 

QUAIS LÁBIOS MEUS LÁBIOS BEIJARAM, E ONDE E POR QUE

 

Que lábios meus lábios beijaram, e onde, e por que,

Eu havia esquecido, e quais braços estão

Sob minha cabeça até de manhã; mas a chuva

Enche de fantasmas esta noite, que tocam e suspiram

Sobre o espelho e sem ouvir a resposta,

E no meu coração desperta uma dor silenciosa

Para rapazes esquecidos que irão de novo

Se virar para mim à meia-noite chorando.

Então, no inverno fica a árvore solitária,

Nem sabe que os pássaros sumiram um por um,

No entanto, sabe que seus ramos mais silenciosos que antes:

Não posso dizer que amores vieram e se foram,

Eu só sei que o verão cantou em mim

Um breve tempo, então, em mim, não canta mais.

Ilustração: https://www.fatosdesconhecidos.com.br/.

No comments: